Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Happy New Year!!

Welcome 2018!!  On reflecting, 2017 wasn’t the best year for me. There were a lot of really great things that stick out in my mind (like the birth of my grandson, a trip to Newfoundland for my daughter's graduation with her second undergrad degree, a trip to the Netherlands with family, for example), but overall I really struggled with a lot of upheaval and changes, and as one who likes to plan and have some control over where things are going, it was a very difficult year in that respect. I do have to remind myself of all the many, many things to be thankful for.

I didn’t make any resolutions for 2018, but I have made a few goals I’d like to achieve throughout the year.   It's a bit of a lengthy list, but I wanted to keep everything in one place to keep me organized and on-track.
 
Knitting
  1. I’d really like to make 20 pairs of socks this year.  I rocked out 17.5 pairs in 2017.  I feel as though with a bit of effort, 20 pairs is totally do-able for me and I’d really like to use up some of my very extensive yarn stash.
  2. Speaking of yarn stash, I’d really like to be more intentional when I’m buying yarn.  I have so many beautiful yarns in my stash already.  This was made very apparent to me when I had to dismantle my yarn room late in 2017.  Trying to store my stash throughout the rest of house made it very clear exactly how much yarn I have, to the point of it being overwhelming which is not how I want my yarn to make me feel.  I would like to do most of my knitting from stash this year.
  3. I also have a few works in progress I’d like to finish up - a least three sweaters (M’agatha, the Armande/Mackenzie sweater, Iced and I’m sure there’s one more but I can’t think of which one it is right now!!), a lace poncho type garment and a doll.
  4. I’d also like to do some more knitting for my grandson - I’m thinking sweaters and little cables vests.  I'd like to get at least three sweaters done for him this year.
  5. Get back to machine knitting (this will also help me use up my stash!)  I'd like to knit at least four sweaters on the knitting machine.
  6. I’ll include spinning here too, since it's fibre related - I’d like to use more of my handspun yarn for my knitting this year.  I have a large quantity from a combo spin that I did two years ago (where did time go??)  I'm envisioning some type of cardigan with a lovely cuddle-ly collar.
  7. I would also like to spin one braid/bump/batt a month (4 oz).
Sewing
  1. Sew 12 bras.  That's one a month.  I have a huge lace stash, and a huge stash of bra kits from Merckwaerdigh that need to be appreciated instead of being stuck in a bin somewhere, hidden away.  And speaking of bras, I’d like to use the patterns I’ve already purchased but haven’t used.  I would like to make the bras from Orange Lingerie.  I’ve made the Marlborough bra a few times already and own ALL of Norma’s other patterns (Boylston, Fenway, Esplanade and Berkeley) but had put them on the back burner due to the fitting process I knew I’d have to go through (absolutely nothing to do with Norma's patterns, and everything to do with the human body being like snowflakes and different from everyone else!).  To start 2018 off I decided to make the Boylston Bra, which was a wearable success, and I’ve already made a few tweaks to the pattern for the next one (which I already cut out today!). 
  2. And speaking of stash, this is another stash that has grown beyond my comfort level.  I would like to sew mostly from stash this year.  I'm not limiting myself to NOT buying fabric, but I have so many fabrics all stashed away already. It’s not easy to access the bins (or the fabric), it’s a pain in the ass to go through the bins to find what I’m looking for and now my stash is now generally taking over my sewing space (and my crawl space is full).  Again, not how I want my stash to make me feel.  I would like to be more intentional when I’m purchasing fabric.  
  3. I would like to sew at least one pattern a month from my Burda magazine collection.  I’ve had my Burda magazines kicking around for years - since 1990 in fact.  I don’t have the complete collection from way back then, but I do have A LOT of them.  There's a lot of variety there, and I find the Burda pants fit me really well without a lot of adjustment.  So many possibilities!
  4. I've also got a general idea of some of the particular patterns I'd like to sew, and love the concept of #MakeNine.  I'll do a separate post on my next SWAP wardrobe plans soon.
Reading
  1. I’d like to read 36 books this year - one a month in each of the following categories:  fiction, business and self-improvement. I don't currently have a list, but I have an extensive library both of physical books and Kindle books that I'd like to work my way thorough.  Please let me know of your favourites!
Physical Health/Fitness

I would like to improve my level of physical fitness this year.  The last quarter of 2017 saw me do very little to increase my fitness level, in fact, I would have to say I worked very hard at decreasing it!  I’ve started my yoga practice again (today, in fact) and felt very accomplished after I had finished.  I’m following Yoga with Adriene’s 30 Days of Yoga - I’ve been doing this for a few years now, and really like Adriene as a yoga instructor.  Plus the videos are free on YouTube - her channel can be found here:  Yoga with Adriene YouTube Channel  I'm a huge fan of a yoga practice - it's great for my body and I find I'm better mentally and emotionally when I practice regularly.
  1. Do yoga 3 x/week (minimum).  Ideally I'd like to do yoga everyday, but sometimes that's just not feasible.  Mornings work best for me and help put my mind in the right place to start my day.
  2. Get at least 7 hours of sleep at night.  This means going to bed by 10 pm for me, lights out!  It cuts into my sewing/knitting/spinning time at night but makes me a better person and more focused and productive during the day.  Plus it helps me get up earlier so I can do my yoga practice!
  3. Decrease alcohol intake during the week. I wouldn't say alcohol is a problem for me, but I found that during very stressful times this year I was turning to it to relax more than I would like.  So, I'm aiming to not drink alcohol during the week.  Alcohol is also empty calories, which will help me whittle my waist a little too!
There you have it - my goals for 2018.  I'd love to hear from you.  Do you have any goals for this year?  Do you make resolutions?  How do you improve your chances of achieving your goals?  


2 comments:

  1. Well I feel like a total slacker when I read your goals. I made 2 - sew even more of my wardrobe now that I know what I want to sew and sew from my collection. Oh and I want to give crocheted scarves for Christmas so I would like to make one a month. That's it...3 goals. I would be so impressed if you just completed 1/2 of each one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, Carolyn, I love watching your sewing and creating output! I guess it just comes down to making sure we still love doing what we've planned. No sense in forcing yourself to doing something just because you made it a goal - especially when it comes to sewing! I look forward to seeing what you've accomplished during your Sewcation!

      Delete