Monday, May 21, 2018

I'm Blushing Over Here

I'm so excited - I've been able to spend some time in L'Atelier, and I finished something!  It's a gorgeous and distinctive top (if I do say so myself) from an out of print Sandra Betzina Vogue pattern, 1291.

Image result for sandra betzina top pattern vogue

Both view A and B are the same pattern pieces and can be made from either woven fabric or knits. Sandra provides directions on how to construct the top differently depending on which fabric you choose.  I chose a very soft blush pink rayon/lycra lightweight jersey for the main body fabric, and an open weave lacy fabric for the sleeves.  You may recognize the jersey - it's leftovers from my daughter's dress.


The jersey is pretty shear, so I wear the top with a very similarly coloured cami/tank top underneath.  I have the perfect necklaces to wear with it too - it looks amazing with rose gold!


The insertion of the sleeves is very different than a traditional top, but the end results are very dramatic and unique, which is what I love in my clothes.  The only difference I made to the pattern was to cut off about 5" from the length as the jersey just kept growing lengthwise.



The only negative feedback I have about this pattern is the neckband.  The pattern piece for the neckband is very narrow and I think next time I make it, I'll cut it a bit wider.  The delicate rayon/jersey fabric was super shifty and even my industrial sewing machine that normally handles delicate fabric really well had trouble with it the second time I tried to apply it.  I'm still thinking about cutting it off and applying a new one.


I've also finished the True Bias Lander Pants and the pair of blush pink Vogue jeans from my Spring in Prague SWAP.  Alas, no photographs of me wearing them yet, but here's a somewhat adequate shot of the Lander Pants "hanging" off my dress form.


I'll do a proper review of them in the next few weeks and hopefully even sort out the photograph situation!


No comments:

Post a Comment