Saturday, September 24, 2016

FO - KZJO Studio Genavieve Dress

I have very exciting news - my daughter Sara is pregnant, which means I'm going to be a Gramma!!  As the result of growing a human, she doesn't currently have a lot of clothes, and has resourcefully asked me to help her out in the maternity wardrobe department.

They attended a friend's wedding last weekend and Sara needed a dress - something simple and comfortable but a little more glamorous than what she currently has in her wardrobe.  I suggested KZJO Studio's Genavieve pattern, which can be found online here.  We went stash-diving (well I did while she sat on the couch and browsed through patterns) and I came up with a pretty lightweight polyester fabric in emerald green.  We purchased a half meter of black lace and a gorgeous zipper with rhinestones for teeth to ritz it up a little.

Pattern Description: From KZJO Studio's website:

Whether your style is edgy, classic, bohemian or somewhere in-between the “Genavieve” easily takes you through your daily adventures with the ability to transition to a night out on the town. Mix and match prints and solids or fabrications (like leather, lace, or silk) to create your own unique look. Use the tank, tunic, or dress lengths with the 3 different back yoke styles for a total of 9 stand-out looks.

Pattern Sizing: XX-Small to XX-Large.  I used size X-Large.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, I believe it does.



Were the instructions easy to follow?  I didn't follow them much given that I substituted one layer of lace for the upper back portion.



What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  This is a simple pattern that has a wide variety of options included with it.  It is very easy to wear and works well as a maternity style dress.

Fabric Used: Emerald green very lightweight polyester

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I added 12" to the length for a more formal look.  I also used a single layer of lace for the upper back.  Instead of following the pattern directions, I used tricot seam binding to finish off the edges of the lace after staystitching.  I turned these to the inside and topstitched the seam binding into place.

I also added a self-lining to the lower back and the front by sandwiching the single layer yoke in between the outside fabric and the lining fabric to enclose the seam.

We also chose a length of black ribbon for a belt to help define her waistline a little.  It added a certain bit of glam as well.



Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Yes I would recommend this pattern.  I am planning on using it again for a tunic length top for my daughter for fall and winter to wear with a cardigan and tights.  I think it would make a great breezy swing dress for myself for the hot weather as well.



Conclusion:  This is a great dress pattern with a lot of options for length and upper back designs.  A wide variety of looks can be achieved by using different fabrics.  The photographs are from the final fitting, so make up and jewelry were not yet chosen or done the way she would have for the wedding, but I think she still looks beautiful!


No comments:

Post a Comment