Friday, February 16, 2018

Failure in Greyscale

I start off all of my sewing projects with such high hopes.  I usually have a pretty clear vision of the outcome in my mind, but sometimes things don't go as you plan.  I would like desperately need some new loungewear.  I love Olivia Pope's loungewear and aspire to create some new garments similar to hers - luxurious, flowy, soft and elegant over the crazy printed flannel pants and a fleece sweatshirt I currently now turn to.

One of my #makenine2018 goals is the Toaster Sweater by Sew House Seven.  I originally was thinking of the #1, but when I searched through my patterns, I realized I only had purchased #2.  So, I decided to use that one instead.  I used a medium weight heathered light grey French terry from my stash - it's deep stash (when I think about it, I probably purchased it more than 10 years ago) and I have no idea where it came from.  I added an 1" to the length of the sleeves, but otherwise made it as per the original pattern in a size large.  I used a light pink thread, mostly because I was lazy and it was what was on my sewing machine and serger, but it turned out to add a neat touch (in my opinion anyway).

Here's the result.

Toaster Sweater #2 - Front
Toaster Sweater #2 - Back

Toaster Sweater #2 - Side view
Doesn't look too bad, right?  Well, when I put it on...let's just say this is why I want to make a direct copy of my body for a dressform.  I am much more well endowed than the dressform and as a result, when I wear the top it juts out from my bust level and sort of hangs weirdly straight down.  Like a tent.  Or a short mumu.  Not Olivia Pope-esque at all.  I really should have done a FBA and sized down a little for the front and back pieces of this but again, lazy.  Other than that, I do like this pattern.  The funnel neck is cozy but not restricting like a turtleneck can be.  The side vents are also a lovely feature, as is the back hemline being lower than the front hemline.  I'll still wear this, but it won't see the light of day.

Let's move on to the pants of this outfit.  I used the Hudson Pant, View A in size 12.  I've made these a few times before, and love the versions I made previously.  Here's the result of my current attempt:


Looks good, right?  Well...for whatever reason, I totally ignored the "this pattern is drafted for a woman of 5'5" with a 28" inseam" line that is VERY. CLEARLY. WRITTEN. in the pattern instructions.  I am not 5'5", nor do I have  28" inseam.  I am, in fact, 5'9" with a 34" inseam.  I bet you can guess the outcome of this...THE PANTS ARE WAY TOO SHORT.  I don't know what I was thinking.  Nor do I know why I didn't make any notations on my traced copy of the pattern that I used two or three times already or even why I didn't adjust the actual pattern piece itself!  I can (and will) cut the cuffs off and make them into view B, which is the capris version.  But that means it's not the snuggly warm version I was looking for to wear NOW.



There you have it.  Failure in greyscale.  Back to the drawing board.


1 comment:

  1. Could you cut extra long cuffs for the pant bottoms and say it is a style feature?

    ReplyDelete