Friday, February 9, 2018

January Goals Check In

January. The month often faulted to be the let down month after the holidays, known for Blue Monday.  This January has seen ups and downs for me, particularly because for a good part of January, I was stuck indoors battling the frigid temperatures we've experienced this month.  Shack-wacky as my daughter's boyfriend calls it.  That being said, being indoors during awful weather isn't so bad.  I've been hunkering down in my sewing room, creating, as well as knitting up a storm.  Or through the storm...Ha.  I make myself laugh.  Ahem.  Anyway.

Here were my goals for January and how I fared:

Knitting

1.  Finish Autumn Woods socks - first sock is finished, casting on the second pair today. Done!  Even the ends are woven in, and photographs are up on Ravelry!
2.  Finish Rikke hat.  Done!! I've been wearing this soooo much - its so soft and squooshy, I love the colours.  Handspun for the win!
3.  Finish Henry the Chipmunk.  All I have to do is the eyes, but for whatever reason it's been sitting on my shelf not finished for A-G-E-S.  Nope, gah.  Some day...for now he's sitting on my shelf in my office, judging me, still eyeless.
4.  Machine knit a sweater for Deklan (my grandson)   I didn't pull out the knitting machines, but I'm well on my way through the Sheepish Little Sweater as a hand knit, and I'm loving it! Sleeves on baby sweaters aren't the black hole they are on adult sweaters!  One more to go!
5.  Chose and spin one braid from my stash.  Nope - the spinning wheels are sitting, collecting dust in my living room.

Sewing

1.  Sew another Boylston bra (kind of cheating since this is already cut out and ready to sew) Done!  In fact, I made several!
2.  Sew a Fenway bra I haven't sewn a Fenway bra - I started.  I chose some fabric that I wouldn't be heartbroken to lose if it doesn't work out.  But then I realized I needed some supplies to make it a decent looking wearable muslin should it actually work out, so I'm working on collecting those before I can get into the sewing.  I sewed a couple more Bolyston Bras instead
3.  Chose a pattern from Burda magazine for lounge wear (I change every evening after dinner to flannel pants, and I think it's time to upgrade). I did sew some lounge wear but I didn't use a Burda pattern for it.  So half accomplished maybe?
4.  Plan and post my late Winter/early Spring SWAP plans. Done!
5.  Trace and sew one Toaster sweater. Done!  I'm not 100% happy with how it turned out, but it's wearable and cozy.

Reading

1.  Finish King's Crossing by Christine Kling Done!
2.  Finish Crucial Conversations  I haven't finished this, but am continuing to read this
3.  Finish You, Inc. I haven't finished this one either, but am still working through it.  
4.  Chose next fiction book  I've read a few this month actually.  I am currently in the midst of Life Mask by Emma Donoghue.  I'm having trouble getting into this one but it could be because I've been exhausted at the end of long days when I try to read it.
5.  Start reading Tribe of Mentors by Timothy Ferris  haven't started yet...
6.  Start reading Leaning In (received this one for Christmas from my Dad) also haven't started yet.


Health/Fitness

I've changed this title from original title of Physical Health/Fitness, because I need to pay attention to my emotional health and mental health too.

1.  Yoga with Adriene at least 3x/week. Well...it's been close to three times a week, but only because I was gently scolded by my chiropractor about getting back to stretching.  I've had some old aches and pains flare up this month, and have only been doing yogic stretches, not really a flow or power yoga I want.  Baby steps.
2.  Go to bed at 10 pm. Do you ever notice that when you state your plans, sometimes it just absolutely goes in the opposite direction?  I was lucky to see 11 pm for a bed time this month, and that's on the really late side for me!
3. Decrease alcohol intake during the week. Yeah, I decreased it.  Not by much, but it's a step in the right direction.  And I feel less guilty about my alcohol intake and absolutely enjoy the drink I do have.
4.  Meditate 3x/week.  I'm trying out a few new routines.  Like sitting in my office and quietly contemplating before I start my day.  So far, it works as long as I don't look at the email first.  Or get a phone call right away. I have the attention span of a gnat.  That's why it's called a practice!

Goals for February

Knitting

1.  Start and finish the personal sock club (PSC) sock for February
2.  Work on the Mackenzie sweater
3.  Spin one braid/bump/batt
4.  Finish the Sheepish Little Sweater for Deklan
5.  Start and finish birthday socks for Mom and choose the birthday socks for Dad

Sewing

1.  Sew a Fenway bra and pantie set
2.  Chose and sew one Burda pattern from the January 2018 issue (can't wait to try the yoga top and leggings!)
3.  Continue sewing Queen of the Dots SWAP items

Reading

1.  Finish reading Crucial Conversations
2.  Finish reading Life Mask by Emma Donoghue
3.  Start Leaning In
4.  Start the next book in the Libermann Papers series by Frank Tallis
5.  Start High Performance Habits by Brendon Burchard

Health/Fitness

1.  Get at least 7 hours of sleep at night.  Go to bed by 10 pm.  Try, try, try!  Sleep often loses out to sewing or knitting for me, but I'm so much better when I get enough sleep!
2.  Continue with yoga 3x/week in the mornings
3.  Meditate daily, every morning
4.  Move my body outdoors at least 3x/week.  Life for me is better when I get outside!


1 comment:

  1. You inspire me... and I will set goals for February... today. My word for 2018 is. “Finish...to finish, finishing, finished...”

    ReplyDelete