Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Persistence Pays Off!! FO and Pattern Review - Burda Style 2014 01 - 108

What a difference a day makes!  After work yesterday, I decided to change into my comfies (mental note - gotta come up with something a little more "Olivia Pope-esque" for my down time), and head down to L'Atelier.

The first thing I saw was the WIP I had set aside in disgust and frustration on Sunday evening.  But instead of going with my initial reaction of just bagging it up and tossing it, I thought I would take another look at it.  I'm glad I did!  As a result, I can present you with this pattern review of Burda Style January 2014, #108 Top.

Burda Style 2014 01


Line Drawing of Burda Style 2014 01 #108
Pattern Description: According to the magazine, "...loose sleeved shirt which is quick to sew."  I will add that the loose sleeves are of a unique folded design, and there is a wide waistband and centre back seam.

Pattern Sizing:  Burda (European) sizing:  36 - 44.   I made the size 42.  Don't forget to add seam allowances to the pattern pieces when you're cutting the fabric.  Burda Style patterns do not include them.  I like this feature - it gives me more control over the fitting/altering process.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes, I think it does.
photograph of Burda Style 2014 01 #108

Were the instructions easy to follow? HA.  I give this one a big NO.  I couldn't figure out what seam was the centre back seam (and to be honest with you, I'd have to give it some serious consideration to figure that out again!)  Burda directions are always a little vague for those of us who are visual learners, like me, and that makes it a bit more difficult on a good day.  I will concede some of the blame on this though, sewing when you're already frustrated and tired is never a good idea.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I LOVE the unique style of this pattern, especially the folded sleeves.  It is also a great pattern so show off a centrepiece fabric, or if made out of a "plain" fabric, it would be great to show off some fabulous jewelry.


Fabric Used: a brushed lightweight polyester woven with a plaid print


Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I made this directly off the pattern sheet.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  I might sew it again in a solid coloured fabric - or maybe a sparkly black for top for a casual night out?  I would recommend it to others with the caveat that you should play around a bit with which pieces go together before you actually stitch it together.




Conclusion:  Despite the frustrations I had with the lack of pattern markings, I am really glad I stuck with this top and love the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment