Thursday, February 9, 2012

I am a Planner. With a Capital P.

I am a planner by nature.  I love lists.  I love setting goals for myself, working through the items and the satisfaction of striking the items off.  I noticed the other day while I was in my local Fabricland that there was a plethora of lovely linens in gorgeous spring colours. And NO, Mom and kids, I did not buy any!  The spring fabrics (and recent unseasonably warm weather) got me to thinking.  My spring and summer casual wardrobe is in a very sad state of affairs.

I was browsing through my collection of Loes Hinse's newsletters and online seminars earlier this week one night when I was WAY too tired to even think of sitting down at the sewing machine.  One in particular caught my eye - Possibilities, The Trip.  In this seminar, Loes outlines a travel wardrobe which includes the following items:

  • 4 pairs of pants
  • 1 skirt
  • 1 tunic
  • 1 cardigan/jacket
  • 6 tank tops
  • 1 top
  • a variety of accessories including scarves, wraps, necklaces, shoes and purses

I don't necessarily need 6 new tank tops (though they are SO quick to sew), so I am thinking of substituting a few tops instead.  My colours will be brown, tan, and cream with accents of olive green, nutmeg, coral and cinnamon.

My plan for my new spring/summer wardrobe is this:

  1. Brown linen Oxfords
  2. Tan linen Euros
  3. Cream linen Oxfords (maybe with a drawstring waist)
  4. Olive linen cropped Oxfords
  5. Tan linen sarong skirt, short version
  6. Cream linen Casablanca top
  7. Brown sweater knit Garbo Jacket, cardiganized
  8. Tan linen Biarritz Jacket
  9. Brown knit tank (sewn last summer)
  10. Cream lace tank (sewn last summer)
  11. Brown lace tank (sewn last summer)
  12. Cream linen Sicilian Tank
  13. Nutmeg print Perfect Tee (sewn last summer)
  14. Olive print Perfect Tee
  15. Brown print Perfect Tee
Of course, I'm going to need some new shoes - in particular espadrilles and wedged sandals.  I'm hoping to make some fun and funky jewelry, think chunks of coral, polished stone and wood.  And while I have plenty of scarves and wraps, most of them are more suited to cooler weather.  I think a few new scarves and wraps in lovely open weaves or lace are necessary as well.

The list looks a little daunting, but the majority of these patterns are TNT, and I can whip them together in no time.  My plan is to keep working away at the Wardrobe Basics sewalong items - because I need those now, but when the "will-this-winter-never-end" doldrums hit I have something to pull out and help me look forward to spring.
I have some actual sewing to report too - I finished this:



the top from Vogue 2989 (OOP). 
V2989
I made it out of the same camel ponte de roma that I used for the camel skirt from the same pattern. Note:  I previously reported the skirt was from Vogue 1020, which although I cut out a number of items from that pattern, is incorrect.  My apologies.  I'll have to go back and correct the previous post.    The collar is a little wonky and I think it has something to do with the interfacing I used, but I can live with it.  I like how the top and the skirt look together.  I particularly like the neckline - a perfect frame for a gorgeous necklace.  The colour camel by my face really isn't my favourite, but with the right jewelry and accessories, I can make it work.  I think this colour will transition nicely into my planned spring wardrobe too.


Anyone else thinking spring?


2 comments:

  1. I don't think you can even think about a wardrobe without a plan and a list....that is what I am finally learning. I recently saw a really cool vacation wardrobe chart on pinterest...it made so much sense for the rest of the season, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be fun to watch this wardrobe come to be!

    ReplyDelete