Monday, September 9, 2013

FO and Pattern Review: McCalls 6326

I've been sewing like a maniac in the past few weeks.  I don't know exactly what it is that has gotten me back to sewing, but my Mojo has returned with a vengeance!!  I'm VERY happy about this recent development as my wardrobe was starting to look dismal at best (my clothes were all starting to look worn out, a lot didn't fit any more, and the remainder I was just starting to feel really MEH about...).  Since the Return of Mojo, I've been trying to squeeze a little bit of sewing in every day.  Now, that doesn't *always* work, but it does greatly increase my rate of FOs! (finished objects).

M6326 Front
Pattern Description: The pattern envelope and McCall's website are not very descriptive: MISSES' TOPS: Close-fitting tops. That being said, the tops are close fitting. I made View C. The pattern is out of print, but still available on McCall's website at the time of writing this review.

M6326
photo credit:  Mccallpattern.mccall.com

Line Art
Photo credit: Mccallpattern.mccall.com

Pattern Sizing: 4-12, and 14-20. I used a size 12 and added extra seam allowance to the side seams.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Most definitely.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, though I had to be very careful about how I put the twist into the neck portion of the top. I was sewing late at night and apparently was easily confused. I ended up putting the top onto my dress form and pinning it there in order to get the twist properly figured out.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I really like the way this pattern fits, and that it is an unusual piece of clothing.

Fabric Used: ITY jersey with a black/white/grey print

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I stitched up the centre front about 2 inches higher than the pattern recommended in order to avoid a display of extensive cleavage.

It is a close fitting top as the pattern says, so I would ensure to add 1" to the side seams when cutting, and then baste the side seams together prior to stitching.

Because I was using ITY knit, which seemed slithery when I was cutting it out and is really light weight (but feels like heaven on!), I added lightweight boning at the centre back of the neck to keep the fabric from bunching up too much, as well as at the upper side seams, again in order to keep the fabric from drooping at that spot.

M6326 Centre Front
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I'm not sure if I would sew this view again, as the top is pretty distinctive and a girl really only needs one of these in her wardrobe at a time, but I will likely sew another one of the views.  And the more that I look at it, maybe I need one of these in plain black.  And one in plain red.

Conclusion: This is a very distinctive top that can be used for summer or evening wear.

M6326 Back

1 comment: