Friday, September 20, 2013

FO and Pattern Review: Butterick 5495

I LOVE this top.  Like I mentioned in my last post, I LOVE animal print.  I made this top from a deep stash animal print slinky that I've been *cherishing* and couldn't figure out what was "worthy" of sewing.  That my friends is a mistake.  There will always be more fabric to sew...the only thing I regret about this top is why I've waited so long to stitch it up.

B5495
Photo credit:  butterick.mccall.com

Pattern Review:  Butterick 5495

Pattern Description: According to the Butterick website:  MISSES' TOP: Loose-fitting tops A, B, C, D with front drape gathered into loop, dropped shoulder, seam details and stitched hems. A, B: sleeveless. C, D: short or long kimono type sleeves.  I made view C.

Line Art
Photo credit:  butterick.mccall.com

Pattern Sizing: 8-14, 16-22

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, I believe it does.



Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes.  I had to closely pay attention to which way I was pinning the front pieces together, but other than that, it was easy.  I have to give Kudos to Palmer/Pletsch as the instructions are very detailed.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  This is a very flattering pattern for most figure types.  It didn't take me long to stitch up and I really like the results.

Fabric Used: animal print poly/lycra slinky fabric from deep stash. So deep, I don't even know where I got it or when!

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I didn't make any pattern alterations.  The amount of gathering at the bust along with my fabric choice accommodates my D cup bust without any difficulty.

I also used Steam-a-Seam to hem the bottom edge, the sleeve area as well as the self-facing at the centre front.  Slinky is notorious for slip-sliding away, and stretching out.  The Steam-a-Seam made hemming a breeze.

I used a very narrow zig-zag stitch (length 3.0, width 1.5) for the seams before finishing them with the serger (differential feed set at 2 for any seams, and 1.5 for any single edges).

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  I may sew it again, but I'm not sure if I need more than one of these at a time in my wardrobe.  Similarly to the other tops I've recently sewn, it has very distinctive lines.  I may sew one in black, or maybe lengthen it to dress length for a little black dress (LBD).

Conclusion:  This is another great top for my wardrobe.  Being the big fan of animal print that I am, how could I go wrong?  ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment