Saturday, September 14, 2013

FO and Pattern Review: Butterick 5497

Last week in my sewing frenzy, I finished another top, this one from Butterick 5497.  As it turns out, I think I'm in love with this top - I've worn it twice already and plan to wear it again tomorrow.  I'm travelling this week, and it makes a fantastic travel top.  The print makes any "dirt" or spills very difficult to see (and I'm a bit of a klutz at times so this is perfect for me!) and the fabric is fantastic - no wrinkling and very easy care.

On with the review!  Butterick 5497

B5497
Photo credit:  Butterick.mccall.com

Pattern Description:  According to the Butterick website:  MISSES' TOP: Tops A, B, C, loose-fitting at bust, have short or long dolman sleeves, gathered upper section, shoulder casings with elastic and stitched hems. A, B: lapped upper back sections have neck binding. C: upper front and back cut on crossgrain, shading may occur.  I made view A.

Pattern Sizing: 6-12, 14-20

Line Art
Photo credit:  Butterick.mccall.com

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes, it certainly does.



Were the instructions easy to follow?  Yes, they were.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I like the detail with the self-fabric binding at the back neck.  It is a neat fashion detail but it also is functional to hold the front and back v-neck style to keep from sliding off your shoulders.

Fabric Used:  A graphic pattern ITY medium weight knit.  I *think* I purchased this at my local Fabricland last summer (summer 2012).

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I made this directly out of the envelope:  I have a D cup bust and decided not to make any alterations to the front bust.  With the amount of gathers that were both on the upper shoulder and under the bust I had enough fabric to allow for the D cup.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  This is again a pretty distinctive pattern and I'm not really sure I need another one just like this with all the other cool patterns out there.  That being said, I think I may sew the long sleeve version as it is both easy and comfortable.  The jewel neckline would make a fabulous backdrop for some of the gorgeous chunky jewelry that I often wear.

Conclusion:  Another great top pattern!



1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite knit tops. Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete