Thursday, September 29, 2016

FO - Sew Over It City Break E-book Alex Shirt #2

As part of My Big Easy SWAP plan (link to the post with my plans is: here), I had wanted to make a rust/mustard coloured shirt.  When I first tried the Alex Shirt from Sew Over It's City Break e-book, I loved it so much, I immediately cut out a second one.  I finished it just in time to take with me to The Big Easy.

Pattern Description:  from the Sew Over It website (Sew Over It City Break):

Alex Shirt & Dress
Two-in-one, the Alex Shirt Dress is a versatile, classic pattern that will take anyone seamlessly from day to night. Although always loose and comfy, this pattern can look completely different depending on fabric choices. Made in linen, the shorter Alex Shirt is ideal for exploring the city in the daytime. But choose a lightweight crepe, viscose or georgette and you have a glamorous, knee-length evening shirt dress, perfect for that special restaurant.

Pattern Sizing: UK 8 - 20.  I chose the size 14.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes, I would have to say it does!



Were the instructions easy to follow?  I used them for my first version, but did not use them this time.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I love that this is an easy to sew pattern for a very versatile basic item of clothing.  I can see wearing this as a shirt/blouse, buttoned up and tucked in or worn out over the waist band of the skirt or pants I'm wearing, or open as a jacket, over a tank top or tee-shirt.  Each of my versions look quite different, because of the fabric I used.

Fabric Used: a gorgeous silk georgette with a raised floral pattern in a dark mustard yellow colour



Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I shortened the sleeves to accommodate the yardage I had.  When I tried it on, I decided to make them into cuffed 3/4 length sleeves.  As a result, I decided to leave the sleeve tabs off this version.  As I did on the first one, I also took the side seams in by about 1-1/2.  Next time I'll cut a smaller size and do a full bust adjustment.

I also folded the front bands to the inside instead of the outside like I did with my first Alex Shirt.  This was because the wrong side of the fabric would have been too apparent at the centre front.



Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Yes, I will definitely be sewing this again, and I certainly recommend it.  I need a black shirt/blouse and I also have been searching through my stash to make another in the dress length.



Conclusion:  Sew Over It has done a great job on this pattern.  It has become a TNT (tried'n'true) pattern for me that I cannot wait to sew again.

No comments:

Post a Comment