Thursday, February 13, 2014

The Blushing Coquette in Spring 2014

So...my coat is finished, and I have a few other projects already cut out.  But I have not done any sewing since finishing the coat.  Absolutely none.  I just haven't had the time!  Between work, skiing, and various appointments, I just haven't gotten to L'Atelier.  And let me tell you, the Mojo has been running high!!

So, what's a frustrated sewist to do?  Why, daydream and plan of course!  I don't know about you but I'm starting to get a little sick of winter, and I'm thinking we've still got a ways to go.  I'm dreaming of spring.  Yeah, I still need another winter coat, but my thoughts are turning to spring colours and what I need for a spring wardrobe.

Strangely enough, my thoughts have turned to a soft pink, almost a blush pink colour.  Keep in mind I've never been really much of a pink fan (other than for lingerie, babies and little girls), so I'm not sure where this is coming from - maybe I'm being subconsciously brainwashed by all the articles on pastels being a big trend for spring!  Anyways...I'm formulating a plan with this soft pink colour, varying shades of grey and cream.

I've been a long time fan of the SWAP (or Sewing with a Plan) that appeared EONS ago in Australian Stitches magazine.  Artisan Square is having a contest (SWAP 2014 Official Rules), though if I join, it will be a sure recipe for me not to be successful (LOL), so I will only unofficially join - Purpose without Pressure.  The rules for this contest are as follows:

Sew 3 "3 packs" and 2 "wild cards" for 11 garments

Each three pack will consist of the following:

2 tops and 1 bottom
OR
1 top and 1 bottom and 1 outer layer
OR
1 dress and 1 top and 1 bottom

This gives a LOT of flexibility in planning!  I think I will do one of each three pack plus the two additional garments.  For my first Three Pack, I will work on the 1 top, 1 bottom and 1 outer layer three pack.

Garment 1A - One Outer Layer I already have a pink and grey houndstooth check jacket in progress, so I think I will be using that for my outer layer. It's the Nancy Erikson Fashion Sewing Group jacket pattern, which I've made numerous times before.

http://www.fashionsewing.com/1945C.htm
Garment 1B - One Bottom - a self-drafted pencil skirt in soft pink to coordinate with the houndstooth jacket (I'm almost 100% certain I have a soft pink wool crepe somewhere in my stash - the trick will be to find it!!)

Garment 1C - One Top - McCalls 6436, view D in blush pink very lightweight satin back crepe.  I'm debating about which side to use right side out (shiny vs matte).

Line Art
McCalls 6436 http://mccallpattern.mccall.com

For the second Three Pack, I will be working on the "1 dress and 1 top and 1 bottom" three pack.

Garment 2A - One Dress, OOP Vogue 8593, grey doubleknit

Line Art

Garment 2B - One Top - Blouse, Vogue 8772 in medium grey lightweight satin backed crepe, View D, with detachable bow, collar and cuffs in satin side out, and body in matte side out
Line Art
Garment 2C - One Bottom - Skirt from Vogue 8672, in grey wool (view to be determined)

Line Art

Third Three Pack - 2 tops and 1 bottom

Garment 3A  - One Top - Vogue 9771 in lightweight cream satin back crepe

Line Art

Garment 3B - Second Top - McCalls 6841, view C in Cream lightweight sweater knit

Line Art

Garment 3C - One Bottom - self drafted cream pencil skirt with cream faux ostrich skin accents

Two Wild Card Garments

Garment WC-A - Cardigan from M6844 view C in cream sweaterknit

Line Art
http://mccallpattern.mccall.com
Garment WC-B - Dress, Vogue 1183 in midweight cream poly crepe

Line Art
http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/
 
There you have it, The Blushing Coquette in Spring 2014.  Now to find the time to put these dreams into action!

3 comments:

  1. Just think if you finish this in time you could enter it into the contest because I'm sure it's going to be a very pretty collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tonia, fellow SWAPer Anna B from Stitcher´s Guild here, love your choice of patterns! I also just joined and hope to be able to finish my collection, but regardless, it´s such a fun way to sew! See you around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am interested to see how the blush component turns out for sure. Lots in the stores here but it doesn't speak to me as a colour. I have been going more into hot pink though, having always been a coral/burnt orange girl!

    ReplyDelete