Monday, May 28, 2018

Get Down with your Bad Self

Oh my gosh, you guys!  I had so much fun with this next make.  I have had this pattern in my stash for ever and ever, literally - I think I picked it up when it first came out.  But for some reason I kept putting it off because I thought it was hard. I used to sew wedding gowns and alter prom dresses.  Why on earth would I think that making this pattern would be so hard??  I stalked the reviews at Patternreview.com and finally worked up my nerve to include it as part of my #makenine2018 just to get it off my #scarypatternlist.

Yes, this is the iconic Kwik Sew 3764 motorcycle jacket.

I chose an olive green stretch cotton twill that I've also had in my stash forever and ever.  I have no idea where I bought this from, or even how long I've had it.  I'm pretty sure it's embarrassingly old - like so old I think I moved it from my old house.  And that was almost 10 years ago.


The zippers are new, from my local Fabricland chain store.  The snaps are also new.


I made my usual swayback adjustment to the pattern and lengthened the sleeves by 1".


During the making process, I decided to narrow the shoulders by about 3/4".  They're still plenty wide, which is the style of the jacket.  You'll also note the gorgeous embroidered rose applique on the left sleeve near the hem.  I blame a friend of mine who showed up at our most recent sewing retreat this past winter for introducing me to these.  I bought mine from Amazon.ca here.


The sleeve vents weren't hard at all - the instructions were very easy to follow, and turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself.  I think the hardest part was inserting the snaps.  The directions on the packet said to try it on a scrap of fabric first.  Of course, I knew better and went gangbusters to the first snap on the epaulet.  And...if course, I dinged the part that holds the snap together with the hammer and it almost didn't close.  I used said hammer to bang the two pieces together.  At least it isn't going to be opened and closed regularly, so it's all okay.

The best part of the jacket is...


THE BACK!!!  I used the applique stitch on my machine to sew all of these roses on.  I'd be happier if I did this before the entire jacket was completed, but honestly, I didn't even think of adding the appliques until my friend showed up with hers.  (Thanks Kelli!! I think it really elevates the jacket!)

I didn't add any lining, though if I make this again, I think I will.  It just helps the jacket slip off and on easier.  The fit is also a bit roomier than I would like, but it certainly looks good, if I do say so myself.

The jacket turned out great, especially because I thought it was so scary before I started.  #sewinggoals I'll consider this a win for both #makenine2018 and my Spring in Prague SWAP!


2 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! No other words - simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It really turned out as a special garment!

      Delete