Friday, June 1, 2018

It's Not Cake, but I Like It Anyway

I love cake.  With frosting.  The flavour doesn't really matter, but I do have a special place for chocolate cake with mocha buttercream frosting.  But if you eat cake with frosting all the time, you don't feel very well.  I also love sewing "cake."  You know, the pretty cocktail dresses, the gorgeous over-the-top dramatic jumpsuits, the embroidered motorcycle jackets, and the wild sparkly tops.  But if you sew them all the time, your wardrobe won't feel very good either.

In that vein, I've been working on a couple of basics for my travel wardrobe.  My latest make is another Butterick 5678.  I love this shirt pattern! 

Image result for butterick 5678
I cut size 14 with a bit of extra room at the waist, using the D cup shirt front and side front.  The patterns with the specific cup sizes save me from doing the alteration myself and are a real time saver!

I chose a natural colour medium weight linen, as this will be a multi-purpose shirt jacket on my upcoming trip.  Because it's linen, it wrinkles like nobody's business, but it's linen and it's supposed to.  I'm comfortable with that.


The princess lines are very flattering, and the folded and top-stitched front band makes it super easy to put together.


The back also has princess seams, which makes the fit very flattering.  I did a 1" swayback adjustment to make it fit me better.


It's not cake, but it will work really well within my Spring in Prague SWAP travel wardrobe, and I'm sure I'll wear it a lot!

2 comments:

  1. I love your analogy at the beginning, so true! Beautiful shirt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a great summer basic. I love linen despite its tendency to crumple!

      Delete