Friday, June 15, 2018

Deep Stash Diving!

While I love intricate sewing projects that take hours and hours of sewing time and teach me new skills, there are times when I just love to hear the whir of the sewing machines as I blast through a project or two.   This was the case recently when I only had a short period of time in the sewing room, and I'm working towards some deadlines and wanted some new clothes.

I chose a few TNT patterns and one relatively straightforward project for a new outfit.  And here's the result!


So let's start with the cardigan.  It's the Blackwood Cardigan from Helen's Closet.  I've made this pattern four or five times already and wear the cardigans to death, literally - one looks a bit like a rag already.  I didn't refer to the instructions at all - it's a super easy make.  I love the lines of it, it makes me feel svelte and sophisticated.  The fabric is a really unusual lacy sweater knit that kind of looks like velour in the raised lacy bits with just enough stretch to make my standard size work.

 

The top is another pattern I've made multiple times, New Look 6068.

Image result for new look 6068 

This is a picture of the pattern cover that I snagged off the internet because my copy of the pattern is beaten up and written on with so many notes about fitting.  I've had my copy for at least five years, which is as far back as my notes on the cover date.  I've made this top over and over again - I'm pretty sure I've made all versions of it.   It's a classic silhouette. It has a centre back seam, which I love because I have such a swayback that it really helps with the fit.  I added 2" to the length as I found the original pattern a bit on the short side (and I'm short-waisted).  I cut this out in a single layer to pattern match as much as possible with my very small yardage. The fabric is an ITY knit, which is old, old, old stash - I have no idea where I bought it or when.  It was a very small piece, which makes me think I may have picked it up as a remnant. 

I used 2" wide self-fabric bands cut on the cross-grain to finish the hems at the neckline and the armholes. To do this, I fold the fabric strips in half wrong sides together, and stitch them to the right side of the garment, using a 5/8" seam allowance (the regular seam allowance on the original pattern).  Then I turn the seam allowance to the inside of the garment and press.  Super simple, but I think it adds a level of sophistication that the turn and stitch hems don't. 

  

And finally, the skirt. I wanted something a little casual.  In the warmer months, I wear skirts instead of shorts, especially when I"m travelling.  I find skirts to be cooler and more dressy than shorts.  I chose Vogue 7805, which is reminiscent of jeans styling.  I believe it is out of print as I can't find it on the Vogue website.  As an aside, I love the detailing on the leg of pants and the vents and have added these to my list of "want to makes".


I chose a sage/olive green very stretchy cotton/lycra fabric.  Because the fabric was so stretchy, I sized down a size from my normal 16 to size 14.  I ended up taking in the side seams substantially - again because the fabric was so stretchy.  I really like how the front carriers are integrated into the patch pockets.  The waist is finished with a facing that is topstitched at the bottom, which adds another cool detail.  I used a "jeans" button that is hammered into place to carry through the jeans styling.  It looks a little wrinkly in the photographs, but  I think that's a result of my flash because it doesn't look that way IRL.  It turned out to be a very fitted skirt but that's the silhouette I was looking for.

 

These pieces will be coming with me in my carry-on bag for my upcoming vacation.  I think they'll work really nicely with the other pieces in the Spring in Prague collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment