Monday, January 15, 2018

FO - McCalls 6873





You Guys!!!  I've forgotten how much fun sewing for kids can be.  My daughter and her boyfriend are taking my grandson with them to the Dominican Republic for a wedding next week.  There is absolutely no way they'll be able to find a dressy, yet cool for the hot temperatures, outfit for my 11 month old grandson, that won't be terribly expensive and take forever to find at this time of year.  I offered jumped at the chance to sew an outfit for him.

McCalls 6873
photo credit:  www.mccallpattern.com


I found McCalls 6873, which has a cover photo that shows a cute little kid in a very cute little vest and cuffed trousers.  While at my mom's house (yeah, she's a great-gramma!!) over the Christmas holidays, we found the exact match to the fabric in her stash and she very graciously gifted the piece to me for this project.  The fabric is a lightweight cotton seersucker, in white and blue.

Photo credits:  www.mccallpatterns.com
Based on my experience of sewing a few things for him recently, I traced off the size medium for both the trousers and the vest.  I made the vest first, lining it in a white linen to help keep him cool in the hot climate.  I did the lower "welt pockets" (fake) but left off the upper one as I was worried it would be too much for his small frame.  It was an extremely quick project - I'd forgotten how quick making baby clothes can be since all the seams are so much shorter than those needed for adult projects!

The trousers were just as quick to put together.  He has a 9" inseam! I giggled a little when we took that measurement.  The trousers have an elastic waist, and the cuffed hems are straightforward.  The part that took the longest for this project was having to go to my local fabric store to get more elastic to replenish my stash!

I don't have a photo of him wearing it yet, so you'll have to settle for a photo of it on my cutting table but I promise to update this post when I've got a picture.



A preview of what's up next on my cutting table:




1 comment:

  1. This is so cute! I know your daughter must be thrilled with the outfit. Can't wait to see what the pieces on your cutting table become.

    ReplyDelete