Thursday, January 25, 2018

Queen of Dots, a dotty SWAP

If you follow me on Instagram, you’ll have noticed a recent post of fabrics that I’ve pulled as a result of a stash toss (and maybe some recent purchases...ahem...).   In order to combat the winter blahs and the recent Blue Monday, I’m planning a late winter/early spring wardrobe for myself.  It’s definitely winter here right now, with cold temperatures and lots of snow/sleet/freezing rain. Usually, thoughts of spring have me dreaming of softer colours, like coral, turquoise and white, but for some reason I’m drawn to a dramatic wardrobe of red, mustard, black and grey.  Maybe I’m just not quite ready for spring yet? (Haha)

These are the fabrics I’ve pulled from my stash.  I love me my SWAP wardrobe (for the uninitiated, SWAP stands for Sewing With A Plan).  I spend hours dreaming about SWAPs, planning SWAPs,  sketching SWAPs, pulling fabrics for SWAPs from my stash, and buying fabric for SWAPs.

I typically plan around a SWAP core wardrobe, which I found in the Australian Stitches magazine series years ago (mid-90s /early 2000s maybe?)   I still have ALL of the original magazines that these articles were published in.  Each article added a few more clothing items to the author's wardrobe, which ended up being extremely wearable and very cohesive.  I travel a lot for both work and pleasure, and love that I can pack very quickly with a well planned wardrobe.



The core SWAP wardrobe I usually start with consists of:
  1. Jacket, typically in a simple style such as a cardigan jacket
  2. Pants #1
  3. Pants #2
  4. Skirt #1 in a solid colour
  5. Skirt #2 in a print or check
  6. Top #1
  7. Top #2
  8. Top #3
  9. Top #4
  10. Top #5
  11. Top #6
The tops are a mix of coordinating solids and prints, one of which should match Skirt #2 for a dress look.

And here are my plans for the my SWAP.  Ignore the numbers associated with the items in my sketches as  the plans have already been revised a few times.  A few of the sketched items are from my existing wardrobe as well, so you won't see them in my sewing plans, and some of them are also noted below as Extras.


The Queen of Dots, a dotty SWAP
  1. Jacket - short fitted collarless jacket in stone and black Prince of Wales stretch suiting
  2. Pants #1 - Closet Case Sasha Trousers in stone and black Prince of Wales stretch suiting
  3. Pants #2 - Christine Jonson Travel Trio One Centre Seam Pant in black ponte
  4. Skirt #1 - self drafted pencil skirt in stone and black Prince of Wales stretch suiting
  5. Skirt #2 - Christine Jonson Basewear Two skirt in black ponte
  6. Top #1 - My Image magazine #12 M1612, black crepe with white polka dots
  7. Top #2 - Butterick 5526 princess seam shirt, white crepe with black polka dots
  8. Top #3 - My Image ImageWear IW1002 blouse with bow at neckline in red crepe with black polka dots (see why it's called Queen of  Dots?!)
  9. Top #4 - Tilly & the Buttons Agnes Top with scoop neck and plain sleeves in red, black and tan leopard print brushed lightweight sweater knit
  10. Top #5 - My Image magazine #15 M1760 twist top in mustard heather jersey knit
  11. Top #6 - My Image magazine Fall/Winter 2013/2014 M1357  turtleneck sweater in white textured sweater knit

As is true for me when planning any SWAP, I have trouble limiting myself to only these items. That being said, I sew a lot with a high output of finished garments. #notbragging  #sorrynotsorry In fact, I make 99% of my own clothing.  I also own A LOT of fabric.  And I'm dotty to think I'll be able to focus long enough to get all these pieces finished before spring.  All that leads to my dream wardrobe to include the following items that I affectionately call "Extras".


  1. Vogue 7827, view B flutter sleeve top, black georgette with tiny polka dot
  2. Sew Over It Ella Blouse, red herringbone print crepe
  3. My Image blouse with gathers at centre front neckline, Red, beige and black print crepe 
  4. Sewaholic Renfrew top, view C with cowl, Black print lightweight sweater knit 
  5. My Image Spring/Summer 2015 M1504 shirt, short sleeves with draped neckline, ITY jersey in black, beige, red and cream print 
  6. Sew Over It Molly Top, ITY jersey in black, beige, red, blue and cream print 
  7. cowl neck top or wrap top, black lightweight rayon/lycra jersey 
  8. Helen’s Closet Blackwood Cardi, long version, red sweater knit 
  9. Muse Patterns, Jenna Cardigan with ruffle at the hems, black sweater knit 
  10. My Image magazine Fall/Winter drapey trousers, black brushed poly/rayon twill
  11. Angela Wolf Flared Trouser Jeans, beige stretch cotton twill 
  12. Boatneck tee with 3/4 length sleeves, black and white lycra jersey 

I'm not sure how likely it is that I'll get all of these done, but I already have the fabric pulled and the Extras flow really nicely with the pieces I've got planned for my Queen of Dots SWAP.  I can also adjust them for the spring/summer season by adjusting the length of the sleeves, hemlines and necklines.

Time to get sewing!!


No comments:

Post a Comment