Monday, July 25, 2011

Mini-Vaca!

What a wonderful weekend.  Hot, muggy, and perfect weather to play tourist and hang out at the beach.  Thursday night the girls and I packed up and headed down to London area for a long weekend.  Friday we did some groceries to stock the cupboards, then went to play.  Our first stop was at the Little Red Mitten in St. Thomas, where we spent a few hours.  I am starting to research spinning wheels, and the lovely proprietress, Joan, spent quite a while with me, explaining the various components and types of wheels.  And I got to play on one!!  On boy, I'm going to need some practice with this, but it feels so soothing to sit and feel the fibres in my hands. I also purchased two skeins of sock yarn (I can't show you one - it's for a Round Robin I'm involved with).  The other one I don't have a picture of yet, so you'll just have to wait.  But, I can tell you it's gorgeous - Tanis Fibre Arts.  Oh yum.

After the Little Red Mitten, we stopped for iced coffee.  And cake, of course.
Peanut butter and chocolate goodness
Our next stop was the Quai du Vin Winery outside of St. Thomas. We enjoyed tasting and learning about a variety of wines.

We returned to our summer home, tired and happy.  We sat on the deck, savouring a glass of wine, and cooking this for dinner:

BBQ ribs, roast potatoes and coleslaw
Of course there was some knitting.  I'm so happy with the way it's turning out:
Summer of Trinity Shawlette 2
Saturday we packed up the Jeep and headed to the beach at Port Stanley for some sun and surf.  What a lovely way to pass a very hot afternoon!  We returned home and created more goodness on the BBQ, this time chicken with the leftover roast potatoes turned into salad.
Saturday evening was spent on the front porch, watching the fantastic lightening show, and listening to the amazing amount of rain come down.  We were not upset at all by the rain, it was very much needed!

Sunday, we headed to Winter Wheat outside of Sparta.  What a fun place that is - with the gardens and art made out of found object.  I purchased a snail made out of metal and a large stone, to remember our day by.

We then headed back to Port Stanley and found the Kettle Creek Inn, where we enjoyed a delicious lunch on their gazebo in the courtyard.

I had the Greek Lamb Burger and splurged with french fries.  One of the girls had a lovely salad.


After lunch, we headed back to the beach for some relief from the very very muggy weather.  After a few hours in the sun, we headed back to the summerhouse, packed up and headed home. What a wonderful weekend with my girls.

Happy Birthday to Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment